Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day

Okay, a day late for Earth Day, but aren't we supposed to make every day Earth day?  We try our best to do what we can - buy in bulk to save on packaging, bring bags to the grocery store, recycle, but there is so much more we could do.  My latest DIY interests have been in making our own home cleaning products - I already use vinegar and borax for basic cleaning, but laundry soap is next!  I have seen the recipes that involve grating soap, but then I found this and it seems even easier to me!  If you're Canadian, you know who David Suzuki is.  I don't know if average non-Canadians know who he is, but he is a well-known enviro-guy here.  Anyway, check out his site, davidsuzuki.org and the Queen of Green's blog, as well as their YouTube videos which show how to make laundry soap, and among other things, shampoo!  I love my current hand-made local artisan shampoo, but I do want to give this a try.

So, what can my family do to reduce our footprint on the Earth?  So much, but I'm using the library more, buying used clothing or swapping clothing, sewing more from upcycled fabrics (but I'm still addicted to buying new fabrics), making more things at home and skipping buying super-packaged items that travel on a truck - like granola bars (I'll post recipe soon!) and bread.  Hoping to be a part of the solution!

Happy Earth saving everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment